We’ve noticed you might be viewing our website from a different location. Visit your regional site for more relevant information and pricing.

frequently asked questions.

camp canada faq's

When should I apply for the program and is there a deadline?

Easy answer – now! Applying early gives you the maximum choice of camps with which we work and it is easier for us to accommodate preferences. However, we accept applications until May when all summer positions have been filled for the season.

What do I do if I want to return to camp?

If you want to go to a different camp next year, you need to start a new application with Camp Canada.

If you’ve been with Camp Canada before and want to return to the same camp next year, please get in touch with your camp directly and they can contact us to start the work permit process with you as a Direct Placement.

I have experience teaching kayaking (example), but no official qualification. Can I still apply?

Yes! With most activities, qualifications are a great bonus but not essential. Don’t underestimate your personal experiences. Remember, you are teaching kids – not experts. Practical experience working with groups of children and enthusiasm are more important than a certification.

What can I expect from life at summer camp?

One thing for sure – your work day at summer camp will look nothing like your daily grind back home!

Working at summer camp is more than just a fun and uniquely Canadian work experience. It’s a chance for you to meet people from all over the field; interact and influence children in a positive way; to be part of a community; and to challenge yourself and those around you.

Not only is working at summer camp a fun experience, but it will also provide you with some work experience and transferable skills to add to your CV/resume.

Where are the camps located and can I choose the location?

The majority of the camps that we work with are located in Ontario. We also work with a good number of summer camps in Quebec, British Columbia, and Alberta. You can express your preferences on your application and we will do our best to accommodate your wishes, but cannot give you a guarantee, as it depends on the Camp Director’s needs and work permit eligibility.

Can I get placed at the same camp as my friend/partner?

You are able to link your application with one other person who is has also applied as a first yime camp counsellor through Camp Canada. The team and camp directors will then be able to see your preference of going to the same camp.

However, we cannot guarantee friends or couples being placed at the same camp, as camp directors hire based on the needs of their camp and what roles are available.

I have a criminal history (caution or conviction). Am I eligible for the program?

There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ answer. We determine eligibility based on information disclosed, and any participant with a caution or conviction on their police check must receive an approved Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) prior to moving forward in the program. We encourage all interested participants to disclose this information early in their application process.

Can I travel before or after camp on my work permit?

The short answer is YES!

However, this may happen in a variety of ways depending on your work permit situation and how much pre or post-camp travelling you wish to do.

For anyone travelling on a working holiday permit through the International Experience Canada program, you are able to work and travel on your permit from when you activate it (by arriving in Canada), for as long as it remains valid.

For anyone travelling on a temporary work permit that is specific to one employer, a couple of weeks pre or post-camp is typically allowed by Immigration Officers. However this decision to extend your work permit to cover travel dates, is done at the discretion of the individual Immigration Officer. If your work permit does not cover your travel dates you will need to switch onto a visitor visa before your work permit ends, which costs $100 CAD.

If you are travelling before or after you will either have to enter as a visitor and change your status over to a worker closer to the start date of your employment, or switch over to a visitor once your employment is nearing completion. Both processes are straightforward, and we can advise of the exact procedure on a case-by-case basis. Most visitors are permitted to stay in Canada, visa-free, for up to six months.

What happens if I am offered a camp placement/position I don't like?

Our placement team works very hard to match you up with the best summer camp for you. In the rare case that you are not happy with the camp/position you are offered, please notify Camp Canada within one week after your placement and we will work with you to find a more suitable camp or position.

Will I get time off?

Yes. Your time off will depend on the camp you work at and the position you hold at camp. Most camps provide a 24 hour block of time off each week to every staff. Other camps provide 2-4 days off in a row every few weeks.

What should I do about using a cell phone in Canada?

You can bring your cell phone, but keep it on Airplane or Offline mode and just use WiFi when it’s available. For calling home – use international calling cards.

Will there be Wi-Fi at camp?

This varies from camp to camp. Most camps will have internet access and some camps have Wi-Fi that staff can use during their time off. If this is very important to you you can ask about internet access at camp during your interview with the camp director.

Does the program include health insurance?

Yes, up to 10 weeks of health insurance is included in the program. The insurance will also cover trips to the USA that last less than 30 days. You can extend your health insurance through your StudyInsured portal for a small fee per day.

Can I apply if I have a pre-existing medical condition?

Yes, you can apply to our program. Each participant will be required to have a medical examination completed by your doctor to confirm that you are physically and mentally able to work at camp. If you have a pre-existing medical condition you are also required to have an additional questionnaire completed and sign the pre-existing medical agreement.

We will also speak to each participant about the conditions/challenges of working at camp and decide on a case-by-case basis if we can accept the applicant into our program. Please note that the Health Insurance policy organized by Camp Canada does not cover any unstable pre-existing conditions. We recommend that you take out additional health insurance coverage for any unstable pre-existing medical conditions.

ready for an outdoorsy adventure?